spanish
Goto Top

Netgear or Aruba Switches

Hi all,

New installation with existing switches ARUBA 2930F 10 Port with POE+ and SFP+ slots (2 each aprox. 3 months old). A new service contractor might get involved and he ist saying that Aruba Switches are junk, and will not support or touch them. He insists on new Netgear switches. What is your opinion? I always thought that Aruba was a higher quality than HPE had used befor and better than Netgear. Is he right or just trying to sell? He also insist that you never ever take a 10 port Switch but that you should always use 52 port switches. Even my explaining that there will never be more than 4 ports used plus the SFP+ port with a OM3 10 GBit/s connection he argued you never ever do such a thing, the smallest he recommends is a 24 port switch. Can someone give me his/her opinion please?

Regards.

Content-Key: 384673

Url: https://administrator.de/contentid/384673

Printed on: April 19, 2024 at 19:04 o'clock

Member: shadynet
Solution shadynet Aug 29, 2018 at 04:09:52 (UTC)
Goto Top
Someone is trying to sell some junk ;) @aqui would call both pieces of s***, in my opinion though, Netgear is worse than HPE/Aruba.
Trying to convince someone that he needs at least 24 ports because 10 will always be less than anyone needs is pretty stupid I think. That's as if someone tells me I need to put a 24 or 48 port switch behind my 2 printers because nobody ever uses 5 port switches, although I know for sure that there will never be another device connected at that place.
Stick to Aruba in that case, those 2930s aren't as bad as your contractor thinks they are.
Member: wiesi200
Solution wiesi200 Aug 29, 2018 updated at 04:17:42 (UTC)
Goto Top
Maybe he has some (too much) Netgear on Stock.

But about ARUBA, i think you always need a Cloud Connection, that‘s for me a reason again this Brand.
Member: chgorges
Solution chgorges Aug 29, 2018 updated at 05:30:23 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @wiesi200:
But about ARUBA, i think you always need a Cloud Connection, that‘s for me a reason again this Brand.

Nope, you never need a cloud. You can additionally add Aruba Central to manage the whole infrastructure via cloud (same as Cisco Meraki) but u don't have to.

https://www.gartner.com/doc/reprints?utm_campaign=&utm_medium=email& ...

Netgear, sorry who?

All in all i guess he just wants to sell, there is no acceptable advantage of Netgear Switches.

But:
the smallest he recommends is a 24 port switch
is correct, 10 port switches don't have the backplane for a good throughput. Just compare the key words "Routing capacity" and "Million packets per second".
Member: adminst
Solution adminst Aug 29, 2018 at 05:51:38 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi Spanish
Definitifly Netgear is a pease of junk if you compare Aruba against Netgear.
So the contractor has the possibility to Support it or loose your work order face-smile

Thats my subjective opinion. What's about your Environment?

adminst
Member: aqui
Solution aqui Aug 30, 2018 updated at 11:48:13 (UTC)
Goto Top
@aqui would call both pieces of s***
That is absolutely correct and has hw reasons of course !
Better to invest in the Cisco SoHo series SG200 or SG250 (SG 3xx for Layer 3, or 5xx series in case you need stacking) or Zyxel who have far better switching hardware. Its worth the money if you plan to work with a dependable network.
Both of this HP and NG crap is manufactured by Accton in Taiwan and is based on the same shitty and oversubscribed silicon hardware.
Better to keep your hands off.
Overall: Asking such questions in forums is stupid. It mostly raises a shitstorm and you got a hundred different answers and are mostly more confused than before.
Member: Spanish
Spanish Aug 30, 2018 at 12:10:53 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Zitat von @chgorges:
Netgear, sorry who?
face-smile

is correct, 10 port switches don't have the backplane for a good throughput. Just compare the key words "Routing capacity" and "Million packets per second".
But the connected 4 Ports @ 1 GBit/s will never ever even reach the backplane speed of the 10 Port switch. So this criterium does not count (in this case).

Regards.
Member: Spanish
Spanish Aug 30, 2018 updated at 12:20:51 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Zitat von @aqui:
Better to keep your hands off.
Thats how I see it as well, but the decisionmaker...

Overall: Asking such questions in forums is stupid. It mostly raises a shitstorm and you got a hundred different answers and are mostly more confused than before.
That is correct, I was only curious since I too think that Netgear is no competor against CISCOs SMB products etc. It was just since the contractor just had the argument he will never touch shitty D_LINK nor CISCO SMB products like SG 3xx or the SG 2xx. He does only the better Netgear and even CISCO is only crap. He didn't even know the brand ARUBA which is now HPE.

Case closed face-smile

Regards